Monday 28 April 2014

Amylopectin and sticky rice

Sticky rice - well firstly it is obviously sticky :) Also called "glutinous rice", although it doesn't contain any of what we call "gluten", and Gluten intolerant people can eat this rice too of course.

It is noticeably different from normal rice. The grains really stock to each other like glue and its great for desserts. If you can find some Thai sticky rice at an Asian grocer I would recommend that, as so far that has been the best quality. 

Give it a try :) I buy the glutinous rice flour and make some pretty nice pancakes out of it. Way safer than normal rice. 

-- Don't overdo it --

Start small and work up so that your body can acclimatise to all the carbs in sticky rice. If you've been on the NSD for a while, then your body won't be used to so many carbs. I overdid it and had rampant candida .. I was making lots of pancakes using glutinous rice flour and eating that with honey.



-- But it has Gluten, doesn't it? --

Sticky rice definitely doesn't have any of the gluten found in wheat. The "Glutinous" part of the name refers to its stickiness, and that is the result of the high amylopectin content. Your body of course is the ultimate determinant. And more besides, on the NSD we are not "no gluten" (which is a protein), rather we are "no starch".

You can check here, truly it doesn't contain gluten:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice
http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html


-- Update May 2014 --
Lately I have been noticing that when I haven't had glutinous rice for a while I have some very small brief stiffness if I really overdo it. For some reason my body does seem to be able to adapt to it fairly quickly. Once I am used to it again I actually seem to have less stiffness than usual? Well, definitely a whole heap more energy. The only reason I am really avoiding it at the moment is my concern about Candida / Fungal issues.


-- Related : --

No comments:

Post a Comment