Thursday 11 September 2014

Making of Natto


My neighbour said that she doesn't add anything at all to it in terms of culture. The soybeans are of course boiled and then strained (possibly by hand, in which case flora could arrive from her body). The beans are then placed in a special device (I don't know what to call it, looks a bit like a rice cooker, lets call it an incubator for now) which she brought from Korea that keeps the beans at a stable temperature between 35-40c. It is left to incubate over a few days.. 2-3 days I think she said. 

Actually B Subtilis is an extemophile and its spores can very easily survive being boiled, so it is quite possible that the culture is still present on the beans and in her incubator. 

I don't know if I could possibly ask her if it touches her hand when she strains the beans - she is an elderly Korean lady, and it might offend or cause too much embarrassment (?). But perhaps I can ask her husband after explaining why I need to know..

No comments:

Post a Comment