Monday 22 September 2014

On Fasting


I used fruit fasts in the early days when I started experimenting with the No Starch Diet. Fruit fasts (or to be more precise, fruit mono-diets) worked wonderfully for me. By the 3rd or 4th day I would be completely pain free without the need of any medication. Normally I would just drink water and eat pears, grapes, apples, and maybe some orange or mandarin too.

Citrus fruits should only be had in moderation whilst on a fast from my experience, whereas pears and grapes could be eaten without restriction. Unfortunately apples will need to be tested for starch using iodine tincture as some farmers like to pick them whilst still a bit unripe, this is particularly true for fruits that are not in season.

Doing fruit fasts really helped me to understand the diet and reinforced the diet --> inflammation link. Afterwards, on eating normal food again, it was also useful to plan what foods I wanted to try first as any reactions / changes in my body would be very informative post-fast

No comments:

Post a Comment